Our Hunt For Lions

It was a beautiful morning and my friends and I woke up in high spirits for our morning game drive in the bush. Every morning starts with a hunt for what we’ve decided to call the egg yolk.

It was a rather gloomy day but my friend Mark was perky and he hopped on to the land rover and said excitedly – I prayed for lions today! I had told them earlier that the last time I was in the bush, we had seen lots of animals because our gal had prayed for them.

Great! Now that we had a prayer, we were confident that we would be blessed with a lion sighting!

Typically, the best way to move about in the bush is on a land rover like this. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that we can also have beers and juice along the way if we like.

Photo credit: Pieter Dreyer

But that morning, our guide saw trails of lion foot prints on the ground. And we decided to hunt for them on foot. *gulp* Now, if you’ve read my past posts, you would know that walking safaris make me nervous.

My heart was thumping hard in my chest as we maneuvered through the thick vegetation and I tried very hard not to think about how we had 6 people and there was only 1 guide, 1 tracker, 1 rifle and 4 bullets. What if we stumbled into the lions?

We were supposed to walk in a tight straight file and be as quiet as possible. But some of us were already planning and plotting our exit routes if we got charged at by predators. My friends were eyeing those trees, while I was eyeing our guide’s gun.

We walked for what felt like forever, when there was a sudden strong stench in the air. Something smelled very metallic. We saw our guide and tracker stop and bend over something.

And then I realised it was an impala carcass. The smell was fresh blood. *faints*

I felt all the blood in my face drain as I looked closer and saw this –

One of these sweeties had turned into the lions’ breakfast.

The smell of blood was so heavy that I felt nauseous. I had to cover my mouth and nose while we examined the carcass. It was still wet with the lions’ saliva and we could see fresh green grass in the impala’s teeth. What was left of its spine was still attached to the skeletal head.

I was very scared. I kept thinking that the lions must be behind the bushes, watching us as we inspected their recent meal. And thought we could possibly end up like the poor impala too.

Photo credit: Andrew Kok

Fortunately, we never saw the lions. Whiew!

When we finally got back on to our land rover, I chided Mark – When you pray for lions, can you please be specific and ask God to let us see LIONS and not lions’ saliva! LOL!

We were exhausted that day from all the excitement and thrill, and were rewarded with a bush braai (BBQ dinner in the wilderness) in the evening.

It was really cool to be surprised with lots of candlelight and a huge fire in the middle of nowhere and be presented with a buffet of meats and local BBQ delights. We loved it.

Our chef, Simon, who took care of our meals made us fat during our trip. Photo credit: Andrew Kok

There was even a bar set up for us. This was important. We needed a good shot of alcohol to calm those worn out nerves. Haha..

It was a great day, and all was not lost with the lions because we did see them the next morning. I’ll share on that later.

The safari lodge that we had stayed in was the Nzumba Lodge at Klaserie Camps. It’s our favourite bush spot to go to and we are always pampered like kings. Check out my earlier post on Nzumba Lodge here.


One Comment

  1. Whoaaa … what an adventure! I would join such trips if I had the chance, but I think my hearts would beat too fast too! =)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *